This document provides you with information on how we collect, use, store and disclose your personal information.
Privacy Act means the Privacy Act 1993 (NZ).
Personal Information has the meaning given under the Privacy Act 1993.
Services means the offers and services provided by the RVA.
Website means www.rentalvehicle.co.nz and other websites and forms of social media where you post comments, or we interact with you.
3. What Personal Information do we collect and why do we need it?
To provide you with our Services, we need to collect Personal Information. If we do not collect the Personal Information or if any of the Personal Information you provide is incomplete or inaccurate, we may not be able to provide the Services, or those Services may be compromised.
Depending on the nature of the Services we provide to you, the personal information we collect may include:
- your name, email address, telephone numbers and address;
- date of birth;
- Sensitive Information, for example, if you advise us of any disability;
- banking information including account details, credit card details and expiry dates;
- information on a professional group to which you belong (e.g. you may disclose that to obtain a discount available to members of that group);
- company name and employee number;
- any other Personal Information relevant to the Services we provide to you.
4. How do we collect the Personal Information?
We aim to collect Personal Information directly from you. We may also collect Personal Information:
- when you complete a form or make inquiries;
- from your company or organisation when you use our services under a corporate account or other arrangement;
- from our contracted service providers;
- from third parties;
- from publicly available sources of information;
- when we are required to do so by law;
- when you log onto or connect to our Website and our server automatically records information your browser sends (e.g. your IP address, how and when you travel through our Website, the pages and documents accessed information about your usage (e.g. by way of cookies) and other information provided by downloading information from our website); and
- when you participate in a survey or register to receive information from us or register to receive information on any of our Services.
5. Our partners and links to other websites [ ie our members?]
Although we only work with reputable third parties, our business partners may have different privacy policies and practices than the RVA.
There are also several places throughout our Website that may link you to other websites that do not operate under the RVA information privacy practices. When you click through to these web sites, the RVA website information privacy practices no longer apply. We recommend that you examine the privacy statements for all third-party websites to understand their procedures for collecting, using, and disclosing your information.
Here are our partners:
- all RVA members
- NZ Transport Agency
- Tourism NZ
- Ministry of Transport
- Bus and Coach Association
- Australian Fleet Leasing and Rental Association
- American Car Rental Association
- British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association
- Associated Canadian Car Rental Operators
6. How do we use your Personal Information?
We use the Personal Information we collect for operational purposes and to:
- provide our Services;
- comply with our contractual and other legal obligations;
- process your inquiries and improve our Services;
- advise you of additional services or information which may be of interest to you;
- develop our products and services;
- improve the quality of your visit to our Website;
- send you our newsletters or email alerts unless you have opted out of receiving such communications;
- contact you in the context of the services that you have requested through the website.
7. Disclosure of personal information
We may be required to disclose your Personal Information by law, by court order or to investigate suspected fraud or other unlawful activity.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to third parties in certain circumstances including:
- if you agree to the disclosure;
- when we use it for the purpose for which it was collected, e.g. to provide you with Services;
- in circumstances where you would reasonably be expected to consent to information of that kind being passed to a third party;
- where disclosure is required or permitted by law;
- where it is required to be disclosed for audit purposes;
- to our Related Entities or Related Companies;
- if disclosure will prevent or lessen a serious or imminent threat to someone's life or health; or
- where it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law, a law imposing a pecuniary penalty or for the protection of public revenue.
We do not disclose Sensitive Information about you unless you agree or, in the circumstances of disclosure, would reasonably expect us to make the disclosure.
8. How your information is stored
We endeavour to keep our information systems and files secured from unauthorised access. Those who work with us are aware of the importance we place on protecting your privacy and their role in helping us to do so.
Our procedures to securely store Personal Information include electronic and physical security measures, staff training and use of password protection software.
When the Personal Information that we collect is no longer required, we will remove or de-identify the Personal Information as soon as reasonably possible. We may, however, retain Personal Information for as long as is necessary to comply with any applicable law, for the prevention of fraud, for insurance and governance purposes, in our IT back-up, for the collection of any monies owed and to resolve disputes.
9. Access and correction of your Personal Information
You may request access to your Personal Information or that we correct any inaccurate or out of date information by contacting the RVA.
We may refuse to comply with your request where we are entitled to do so under law. Where we agree to provide you with access to your Personal Information, we may make this conditional on us recovering our reasonable costs of doing so. For security purposes, before we provide you with access to your Personal Information, we may ask you to provide evidence of your identity.
You may request the source of any of your Personal Information that we have collected from a third party and used for direct marketing. We will provide this at no cost, unless under the Privacy Act or other law there is a reason for this information being withheld, this may include where it is impractical or unreasonable for us to provide this information.
If we do not agree to your request for access to, or correction of, your Personal Information, we will give you a written notice of refusal setting out the reasons for the refusal (except to the extent it would be unreasonable to do so) and the mechanisms available to you to complain about the refusal.